Saturday, March 7, 2009

Creating the meal plan

Ok, I, Phillip, have had this insatiable drive to make this spring break trip the most sustainable or green - or whatever word reflects the least amount of negative impact on our environment - that it can possibly be. It is not easy.

When beginning this journey I was fully aware of all the organizations in the region and beyond that dealt with things such as local food. But, have you tried pulling all the shopping ingredients together for 6 lunches, 6 dinners and 6 breakfasts and make them ENTIRELY local? Some of you die hard people who live off your own land may have been doing it for decades. But I am a wannabe urban homesteader who grew up in Louisville, KY. And I am not finding ingredients for just my wife and I. This is for ten people from different parts of the United States who have specific memories and passions for food. So, adding the factors of variety, comfort, no dairy, commonality, and others I cannot think of right now... not to forget that we are going to be working hard for five days so what ever it is needs to give us energy... and it begins getting more difficult.

Yesterday I completed the entire menu - of course with help from Mary Lou Surgi at Blue Ridge Food Ventures, Michael Gentry and Craig Shultz of Warren Wilson College. I am so relieved that this part of the preparations have been completed! A week menu - I never thought creating such a thing would spark excitement.

The task now is to go to each of the locations to pick up the food items.

To learn more about Warren Wilson College, visit www.warren-wilson.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment